Getting set up
If we have an email address on your record in the booking system you can use the Password Recovery page to set yourself a new password.
- Click here to open the password recovery page.
- Enter your ID card number as the Customer ID and click the blue link underneath.
- You’ll get an email to your email address with a link.
- Click the link in the email and set yourself a password.
- Download the Wightlink app in the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Login with your staff ID number and the password you just set up.
If you like using the app don’t forget to rate it 5 stars in your app store – if you have feedback on what we can improve please send it to email@example.com.
Making a booking
If you’re using the app to make a booking, make sure you’re logged in with your Wightlink ID card number as the customer ID.
If you’re using the website, on the homepage click Login, choose Business Customers Login and log in with your Wightlink ID card number as the customer ID.
Click New Booking
You may have to accept the cookie warning the first time you visit
Choose the type of travel.
- Staff leisure without guests – for when everyone in your group holds a WL ID card (staff, dependants, spouse, retired)
- Staff leisure with guests – for when one or more people in your group do not have WL ID cards.*
- Business travel by vehicle – for when you’re travelling in a vehicle to a meeting or other work requirement.*
- Business/commuting on foot – for travelling to and from work, or for meetings or other work requirements without a vehicle. This is when you would normally just show your ID card to travel.*
*Travel with guests and travel for business won’t be shown if you’re not entitled to that type of travel.
Enter your journey details:
- Choose one way or return
- Vehicle type and number of travellers in the vehicle (including you)
- Or foot passenger quantities
- Outward date and approximate time
- Return date and approximate time.
- Choose outward sailing
- Choose return sailing,
Journey & Ashore Extras
- Skip to next page if you’re offered extra items or attractions and events.
Add your details:
- Email address and mobile number (if they’re not on your account already).
- Add your vehicle registration number if you’re taking a vehicle so the ANPR can speed up your check-in.
- Please don’t change the leadname or address.
Tick to agree to the terms and conditions.
If you are booking business travel on foot or for your commute to work where you would normally just show your ID card, you will be prompted to pay for you journey – you will be able to select your Staff ID card as the method of payment. When you travel you will just show your ID Card as normal.
Your booking is made!
Tap the menu and then Home page. You’ll see your next journey on the app homepage. To see more bookings, choose My Bookings from the menu.
Here is a quick video walkthrough of a booking. Sign in with your Wightlink email password to watch it.
Troubleshooting and FAQ
I don’t know my ID number
It’s the 4-digit number on your ID card.
I don’t know the password.
Try using the password recovery to set a new one.
- Go to the Password Recovery page
- Enter your ID card number as the ‘customer ID an tap where it says, ‘Forgot your details or can’t get in?’
- Check your email we’ll send you an email with a link
- Click the link in the email and enter your new password twice
- Go back to the login page and try with the new password
I didn’t get the password recovery email
The email will normally be sent to your Wightlink email address, but if you previously registered a private email address to your staff account check that mailbox. You can also check your junk/spam/clutter folder.
We might not have an email address on your record in the booking system. Contact us using this form and we will set it up for you.
I already use the app with another login
You can still do that if you like but you won’t be able to book straff travel through it. To switch; log out and then log in with your staff account.
My Wightlink email is on another account
We recommend you use an email address on only one Wightlink staff/customer account to save issues logging in.
I don’t see the options to choose the type of travel
Check you’re logged in using your staff ID number – go to the menu and tap My Account. It doesn’t have your 4-digit ID number at the top log out and log in using your ID number.
If it still doesn’t appear when you tap New Booking, try going back to the homepage, and then tap New Booking again.
How do I get a ticket while the ticket office is closed?
You can show your QR code in the app at check-in. Have your ID card to hand as you may be asked for it.
Make sure you add your registration number to the booking so the ANPR system can find your booking as you drive up.
Can I set my own account up?
Every staff member has an account in the booking system already so please don’t make duplicate accounts yourself.
If your account does not have an email and password you can set this up yourself if you have access to CarRes but please check that your email address is not already used on another account – email addresses should only be on one account.
Can I use my own email address or mobile number?
I no longer need to travel; can I cancel my booking?
Yes, go to My Bookings, select the booking you want to cancel and tap the ‘Cancel’ button. Note both outward and return journeys will be cancelled.
Can I book for someone else?
No, you must be in the group to book staff travel through your account. You may be asked to show your ID card at check-in.
Can I change my booking?
Yes, go to My Bookings, select the booking you want to cancel and tap the ‘Amend’ button. You can change:
- The dates, routes and times.
- Vehicle type and passenger numbers.
- Vehicle registration and contact details.
You won’t be able to change the type of booking, e.g. from no guests to a booking with guests. You can cancel the booking and make a new booking or contact the contact centre to make the amendment for you.
Can I subscribe to get Travel Updates in the app?
Yes, just tap Notification Preferences in the menu and you can then choose what route(s) you’d like to subscribe to receive updates for. You can unsubscribe at any time on the same page.
Can I book on the website?
Everything you can do in the app you can also do on our website. However, you’ll need to log in as a ‘Business customer’ as staff bookings are not supported by the booking widget on the homepage. Click login on the homeoage and choose Business Customers. You can then choose ‘New booking’.
Can I book for a supplier/contractor on the app/web?
If you need a booking for a supplier, contractor or other third party to go do a job for Wightlink it will need to be put on the correct account so can’t be booked online. Contact the Contact Centre with the details.
Still need help?
Contact us using this form and we will get back to you.
1. After one month’s continuous service staff can benefit from complimentary travel on Wightlink services for leisure use only. These concessions are granted to a spouse and dependent children, as set out in separate instructions. An up to date digital image, together with a copy of a valid marriage certificate, is required before a spouse’s travel card can be issued.
2. Consideration is also given to dependant children, over the age of 16 years, who are continuing with full-time education. A form is available from the HR Department to apply for this concession.
3. The standard concession is complimentary foot passenger journeys on all Wightlink services. Also, for the employee and his/her spouse, can take a car complimentary on a leisure journey.
4. The car concession is strictly prohibited at certain times on peak days, including Bank Holidays and Saturdays in July and August.
5. The restrictions placed on peak days dictate that vehicle travel must not be undertaken between 09.00 and 19.30 or 12.00 and 23.59 if stated, unless authority to do so has been granted by a Senior Manager.
6. The member of staff and their spouse/dependants can obtain travel tickets by personal application to a Wightlink ticket office. They must have their identity card with them at the time of the transaction and when travelling.
7. When a valid Wightlink photo ID card holder is travelling independently, or only with other valid Wightlink travel card holders travel may be undertaken on a round trip basis.
8. Wightlink photo ID card holders requesting the issue of free tickets for a vehicle should be able to demonstrate individual ownership, family ownership, or private rental agreement. It is not intended that Wightlink photo ID card holders should facilitate the transport of vehicles for others free of charge.
9. Staff who are required to use the Company’s services for duty are supplied with separate travel documentation. Spouse and dependent children are provided with travel concessions for leisure use only, unless they have the prior permission of the Personnel Manager.
10. On reaching age 16 a child travel card must be exchanged for an adult card if complimentary travel is to continue an up to date digital image is required before a travel card can be issued.
11. Only a dependant in possession of a valid Wightlink photo ID card is permitted to travel independently from a parent with a vehicle. Guest tickets are not permitted on this arrangement.
12. Out of date cards must be surrendered when renewal takes place.
13. Lost travel cards must be reported to the HR Department, whereupon a charge of £5.00 will be levied to cover administration and a reward to the finder.
14. The employee remains responsible for the proper use of all travel facilities. Misuse of the travel facilities and/or attempted fraud can result in dismissal and/or legal proceedings.
15. All travel facility documentation must be surrendered when leaving the Company and these documents are not valid for obtaining travel after the employee has left the service. Any attempt to do so will be viewed as fraud.
16. Staff who are on sick leave may only use Wightlink complimentary travel with prior permission from the HR Manager or Operations Support Managers.
DISCRETIONARY GUEST TRAVEL – REGULATIONS
This facility is provided by the Company on the basis of active and former employees, crossing the Solent for pleasure purposes, having the opportunity to invite guests (relatives and friends) to join them without having to experience the cost of cross Solent travel normally associated with such outings.
Only applies when a member of staff (active or retired) or his/her spouse (Wightlink photo ID card holder) is a making a pleasure journey (not duty journey) and takes up to six passengers as guests.
1. The Guests must travel with the Wightlink photo ID card holder.
2. This facility is not intended to provide a means of offering free travel to friends and relatives by the staff member simply undertaking a round trip. Guests must travel in both directions
3. A journey with guests must only commence from the Wightlink photo ID card holder’s own side of residency.
4. Unaccompanied outward trips or return trips by a Wightlink photo ID card holder for the purpose of collecting or delivering guests on the opposite site of residency is strictly prohibited.
5. Any deliberate act intended to defraud the Company of revenue will be dealt with severely under the disciplinary procedure and/or by court procedures.
A maximum of 8 return journeys will be granted in any calendar year.
It is important to recognise that Wightlink travel facilities are a valuable benefit provided to staff by the Company. Continued availability of this benefit in its current format will in part be determined by the way the guidelines are heeded by staff. The HR Department can clarify any queries on the guidelines.
Any approach which falls outside these parameters is not part of the “special” concession arrangements.
Conditions of Carriage
Staff travel facilities for passengers and vehicles are subject to the conditions of passengers, luggage, vehicles and goods of Wightlink Limited. The conditions contain exclusions of and restrictions on Wightlink’s liability for death, illness or injury, or for damage or loss of vehicles and/or luggage and/or goods. The conditions are available on request at Wightlink offices.
All staff should be aware of the above regulations governing the use of travel facilities.
Updated August 2011
Caravans and other trailers
Just to clarify matters relating to use of the staff travel privilege, staff may travel with a car pulling a caravan or trailer subject to the following restrictions:
- You will be unable to book at certain peak times – the booking system will not allow it
- The caravan or trailer must not exceed 13m in length
- Even if you have booked, on arrival at the port you should check with the DPOM as to whether you can be loaded on to that ferry
In line with the ethos behind the staff travel privilege, the trailer load/type should be recreational purposes, i.e. boat, horse box, classic car etc, NOT for business purposes.
The following restricted dates apply to Wightlink employees travelling with vehicles on Wightlink services only.
- All tickets for staff leisure travel MUST be booked under agent 16677 (no guests) or 16679 (with guests)
- Staff foot passenger travel is permitted at all times
- Advance vehicle reservation is subject to yield control at all times and is not permitted during the dates/times listed below.
- Staff vehicle travel without advance reservation is permitted at all times outside those listed below:
|Day||Date||From||To||Restricted from Mainland||Restricted from Island|
|Friday||7 Apr 2023||09:00||19:00||Y||N|
|Monday||10 Apr 2023||09:00||19:00||N||Y|
|Friday||26 May 2023||09:00||19:00||Y||N|
|Saturday||27 May 2023||09:00||19:00||Y||N|
|Thursday||15 June 2023||09:00||19:00||Y||N|
|Monday||19 June 2023||07:00||22:00||N||Y|
|Saturdays||15 Jul to 26 Aug 2023||09:00||19:00||Y||Y|
|Friday||25 Aug 2023||12:00||20:00||Y||N|
|Monday||28 Aug 2023||09:00||19:00||N||Y|